Once you’ve created your own site, you will be able to access the editing features by using a grey menu that will appear at the top of the page, as shown in this screen shot.
Join a discussion by adding a comment
To post a comment on a discussion, follow the steps below. If you’d like to try the steps, there’s a discussion at the bottom of this page.
- View the discussion by clicking on its title
- To see comments on the discussion, scroll to the bottom of the page if necessary and click on the maroon head “[n] Responses to [Discussion title]”
- At the end of the list of responses is a box for leaving a reply. Enter your comment and click “Post Comment.”
Your comment may not become visible until the author of the discussion approves it.
Edit a comment
To edit a comment,
- Click on the text “(Edit)” after the date and time stamp under the comment author’s name.
- When you are done editing, click the button “Update Comment” at the right side of the page.
- You will be automatically returned to the discussion.
Start a discussion
There are two ways to start a discussion:
- Choose a relevant page and click the link at the bottom of the page that says “Start discussion thread with these tags.” The resulting discussion will appear on this page.
- Go to the grey bar at the top of the page, click “Add New,” and select “Post.” (“Post” is WordPress’s word for “Discussion”)
Both methods open the discussion editing interface, which is shown in the attached screenshot. Refer to this screenshot for further instructions, or see the instructions below.
Within the editing interface, do the following:
- Choose a title for the discussion
- Type discussion text. Before you publish the discussion, you may preview changes or save drafts by using the “Publish” box in the upper-right corner of the editing page.
- Assign Tags to the discussion: on the right-hand side of the page, in the “Post Tags” box, click “Choose from the most used tags” and select all relevant tags. Do not add new tags unless necessary.
- Publish the discussion: click the “Update” button in the Publish box at the right side of the page.
- When you are done editing the discussion, you may go to the published discussion by clicking near the top of the page in the yellow bar with the text “Post updated. View post.”
- To go instead to the home page, click on the title of the site in the light grey bar at the top of the page.
Edit a discussion
- Navigate to the discussion.
- In the grey bar at the top of the page, click “Edit Post.”
- Proceed as described above for creating a discussion.